Wednesday, November 30, 2011

HOMEMADE MEATBALLS






These meatballs are really good for spaghetti and meatballs, meatball sandwiches, Swedish meatballs... or just eating plain. When I am making them, with plans to freeze some, I have to be careful about who might be sneaking around when they come out of the oven--they disappear almost as quickly as I make them.


This recipe comes from "The Stocked Kitchen" cookbook


1 lb. ground beef
1/2 c. bread crumbs (I use Panko -- Japanese-style breadcrumbs)
1 T Italian seasons (I use Penzey's Italian Herb Mix)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 T dried minced onion
1 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper

1. Mix all ingredients together. Using your hands to mix works best. I like to put my hand inside a plastic sandwich bag (makeshift glove) for easier clean up.

2. Roll into 2 inch balls.

3. Either cook in boiling sauce (marinara, barbeque, sweet & sour) for 30 minutes or bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes on a foil lined jelly roll pan topped with a cooling rack. If you use cooling rack, spray with nonstick spray.

4. Serve as desired or store in tightly sealed container in fridge. I have frozen them too. They warmed up great!

Note: recipe states that you can substitute ground chicken or ground turkey--I haven't tried either yet, but a nice way to cut some fat and calories!

1 comment:

Sarah's Smile said...

We do about the same recipe with ground venison. If we make a big batch we do beef and venison. YUMMY!