Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Italian Beef Sandwiches

Both of my grandmothers made a huge impact on my love of cooking. My grandmother Olson (my father's mother) was known for her roasts--pork, beef, you name it...she was an expert in the roast department. And, try as I might, I will probably never be able to make gravy the way she could. My grandmother Hulce (my mother's mother) is known more for her baking--especially homemade bread. How fortunate for me to have gotten such a well-rounded "education" growing up cooking with my grandmothers.

A friend of mine recently noted that she would follow my blog if I were to post easy recipes. So here is an easy one--and always a crowd pleaser. Hopefully her husband is a carnivore:

ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICHES

3-4 lb. beef roast -- I like chuck the best
(Chuck, Round Bottom, and English cuts have all been recommended by various butchers that I have asked...and if you forget when you're at the store, just tell the butcher you want to make shredded beef in the crockpot.)

1-2 packages of Italian Dressing Seasoning

4-6 cups water

4-6 beef boullion cubes
(add one cube per cup of water, or follow the directions on package)

1/3 cup white vinegar
(This is optional, but rumor has it that white vinegar helps tenderize the meat while it cooks)

Put roast in crock pot. Add vinegar. Dissolve boullion cubes in water and add seasoned water to crockpot. The water level should be about 2/3 to the top of the roast. If you have extra, save it for later, should you decide to add more "juice" during cooking. (If you don't have extra, you can always add plain old water if you want to make more juice.) Pour Italian seasoning packets into water and on top of roast. Set crock pot on high. Cook for 4 to 5 hours. Check tenderness by sticking roast with fork and twisting to see how easy it is to break apart. If it is VERY easy, continue breaking up meat (can shred with two forks) and then allow to cook on low or warm until it is time to eat. If it is still a little difficult, allow meat to continue cooking on high until it IS easy to break apart. Then reduce to warm.

Serve on hearty bread that can withstand the juiciness of the meat!

This recipe really is fool-proof. It is difficult to mess up or overcook.

Leftovers are great, too. Mix leftover beef & juice with a cream soup (like cream of mushroom) and add to cooked egg-noodles for beef & noodle casserole--bake casserole for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

No comments: